Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hunger of the mind

My first week here at Rishikesh Yog Peeth is coming to an end.  It feels like I've been here for longer than a week and only a few minutes at the same time.  The days go by so quickly, yet so much is happening externally and internally during that time that I sometimes lose track of when a particular event occurred.  At one point last week I spent a good five minutes trying to determine whether I took a certain photo that morning or the day before (it seemed important at the time).  Of course, getting up at 5:30 am every day makes a huge difference on how one perceives time and the length of a day. 

Just to give you a little more insight on what's going on here, we start the day with herbal tea and some cleansing practices (neti pot and kapalbhati pranayama).  Then we have about 90 minutes of asana practice, which we start with some chanting to help calm the mind and bring awareness to the breath.  After asana, it's breakfast and lectures on philosophy and anatomy before lunch.  Our evening asana class start at 5:30 pm and lasts roughly 90 minutes.

Since Rishikesh Yog Peeth is in the process of building an ashram, we are staying in a guesthouse that they have turned into a yoga center.  It's definitely more luxurious than I expected to find, but it's still India.  The important thing is that I started feeling really at home here in a short time.  The energy here is so inviting and open that it would be hard to not feel at ease. 



So, that covers the basics, but what am I really doing here?  Well, if you know me even a little bit, than you know that I have a never ending desire to learn and since starting to practice yoga asana in the states, I have had many questions about the why behind the postures and practices I've learned.  I also was just curious about India and how yoga here is different or similar to yoga in the west.  Those are important reasons, but honestly I decided to come here based on a feeling, an inclination, my intuition, or whatever else you chose to name it.  I am so grateful that I did.

I am learning a lot about yoga and so far what I find the most fascinating is the philosophy.  It has given me a lot to think about and brought up a lot of ideas that I have heard before but struggled with understanding.  We have had the opportunity to have intriguing discussions surrounding the definition of yoga, the goal of yoga, the nature of consciousness and so much more.  I will share more but right now I need to handle these things in my own way and time.




As for the anatomy, I just have to say one thing and that is that I am so thankful for Roshan teaching about the body as it's own greatest healer.  Many people here don't have the same health science and anatomy background that I have, so it's refreshing to know that more and more people are educating themselves on how to care for the body according to nature.  I have my father and my own experiences to thank as well.

Until next time...no harm to anybody and benefit to at least somebody. 

No comments: